06 July 2007

Reason #2 I feared I would not be allowed to exit the country

The Saga of the Spears....

Back in March a six foot spear was handed to me as a birthday present. Its craftsmanship and exotic feeling in my hand was sheer joy. Thus, when we went to Langano in June I purchased a second spear, this time 8 ft long.

Following other expat's lead, I decided to ship them home via PVC pipe, which of course meant that I would have to purchase three more spears at the Postabate shops to make the shipping costs worth it. I packaged them up and took a trip to the Post Office. I thought it must be customary to declare them appropriately as spears--the Post immediately said they do not ship weapons and that this pipe was far too long. They suggested DHL.

I knew DHL could ship them and that they would ensure their safe arrival back in Georgia. Since the whole spear declaration did not fare well, this time I would tell them they were traditional sticks, dulas, canes. This did not help--DHL only ships 1.5 Meters.

As a last resort, we tried a second DHL location in the merkato. This time I opted to stay in the car, and let the pretty blonde give a go. Twenty-five minutes later she emerged, empty handed. Undoubtedly, this girl can do anything, while I am denied at every turn.
Later that Friday afternoon we get a call from DHL to say that the main office has contacted them. They will no longer be able to ship the spears. However, the worker states that he will attempt to repackage the spears and shorten the PVC pipe so that it will meet standard requirements. I am equal parts amazed and nervous because we fly out Monday evening. He will call us back before then.

The call comes in around 3PM Monday afternoon--No dice. We race back to the Merkato and grab the spears and a significant refund of ET Birr. Back at Bingham, I am up against the clock--I remove the spear heads from the longer sticks and cut half a meter off the PVC pipe. I call Lufthansa and they said a stamped/sealed receipt would be required to verify that there are no antiques or museum property included. We have a forgery cast and the PVC pipe is now much shorter. Everyone witnessing this spectacle is laughing-- spilling long jokes about the faranj and absurd souvenirs. Of course, I have to agree.

Considering the amount of baggage, video equipment, minamin, that we have already, I am all but set to resign and leave them in Addis. But how can I at this stage? Its too late to abandon this fool's errand. So we trudge to the airport with a total of 9 bags between the two of us. The Lufthansa agent, who is wearing a EAL badge, makes no mention of the fact that we check 5 bags. Moreover, he does not even ask what the PVC contains. They ship for free, and not a word is spoken regarding my driving status.

Not only did the shipment arrive in Geneva but its now on its way to my parents in Atlanta, again free of charge. B says she will not believe it until she sees it in Georgia. I would tend to agree, but now that they are safely described as 'sporting goods' and no longer coming from a country in Africa, I expect Fed Ex to have 'chigger yellum.' In theory, they will arrive home before we will.

DC

1 comment:

Loren said...

only a D&B Collins' experience!

i can't believe i hadn't read this already...