06 July 2007

Reason #1 I feared I would not be allowed to exit the country

Because driving is such a colorful affair in Addis, our hosting organization recommends that ex-pats dont drive the final 4 weeks before departing the country. This seems to be an accepted precaution for many folks who are about to leave. Most of our friends practiced driving abstinence to ensure no bureaucratical snafus preventing them from their exit. Its commonly understood that driving accidents, violations, or other run-ins can flag someone's record and precipitate a scene at the Bole International Airport.

Considering we were one of very few teachers left on the compound once school completed, we had little choice but to drive. Had it not been for a small shred of decency, I would have never kept quiet about all those of our friends who resorted to taxis alone for the final month. I even occasionally thought to myself about them, "Suckers!"

Naturally enough, the Friday before our Monday departure was full of errands and trips all over town resolving an issue of spears (story forthcoming). My friend Zewdu and I were driving to Bole for a final lunch together. I left the decision to him and he chose Loza, whose lasagna is first class. En route, we drive through Meskel Square. As I am cutting across 3 lanes of traffic, a traffic cop runs out in the front of the Ford Ranger. Generally, the recommended action is to wave, swerve around him and be on your way. He is on foot after all. But the Bole road was clogged. Thus, I pulled over. He took my license. He filled out his report. He gave me a ticket.
Zewdu translate for me that I am at fault because I crossed a solid white line at the end of the intersection. I get out and began to plead argue with this policeman. As we debate, at least 3 other vehicles do the same thing. I am speechless. This is hysterical for so many reasons. In a world where all drivers routinely and flagrantly violate all sorts of serious driving regulations, I get nabbed for the most petty reason possible!

Zewdu states that I have 48 hours to pay the ticket, but since my flight is before the deadline, I should not pay it. Personally, I wanted to pay the thing off so no complications would emerge, but mainly so that I could keep my Ethiopian license. But by Monday, I realize there is simply not time. Not to mention the offices are across town, and no errands in Addis are quickly accomplished. I would have to fly with the delinquent fine and hope for the best.

DC

No comments: