10 June 2007

Wedding Videography


On many weekends in Addis, you will be bombarded by a barrage of horns honking, then witness a long
processional of cars led by a truck with a fellow hanging out the window, hoisting a videocamera on his shoulder pointing at a white Mercedes with a ribbon on the hood. There's a distinct sensation that this type of parading would never be permitted in 'no cruise zones," or perhaps some type of funeral procession has gone seriously wack. But as it seems, almost every wedding employs this ritual in Addis, apparently an integral component of Ethiopian weddings.

So when I filmed a wedding on Saturday, it was to my relief that I was not asked to sit on a doorwindow filming a car drive down the street. One of my student's older brother was getting married and I was asked to do the videography. I was reluctant to do it at first because my wedding videography days are in the past (so I had hoped!) and I am primarily occupied with two projects already. The fact that I had very little instruction regarding expectations concerned me because of the nature of wedding videographers in Addis: aggressive, ubiquitous and all up in the bride/groom's grill.

This of course, aint the way I like to do things, so I was happy that no one seemed to scowl at me as I did my best at 'blending' myself into the surroundings, as my uncle taught me to do. The ceremony and reception were largely western in feeling, but the entire crowd of guests sang songs throughout the duration of both. It was joyous revelry in the best sense of the word.

I was glad to have filmed the day for the newlyweds, now if I can just find a moment to edit it for them before 02 July.

DC

1 comment:

dherve said...

what a beautiful bride!