29 June 2007

Top 10 favorite Amharic Words

These may be the centerpieces of my Amharic, as I try to use these on a regular basis. I hope to retain them as a staple of my vocabulary.

10. Icka -- stuff, things
9. Rabash -- bold, tricky, cunning, crafty, downright sneaky, mischievous
8. Ishi --- ok, thanks, fine, I understand, fine,
7. Shintabait -- outhouse or toilet
6. Wushet -- Lies
5. Bakah -- Enough
4. Chigger Yellum -- No problem
3. Ow -- Yes
2. dabtara -- chorister, poet, dancer, herbologist, scribe, wizard
1. shamaggelly --- elder, old person

So, to give an affirmative answer, just make like you have been hurt. Number 6 and 7 just have the most appropriate onomatopoeia. Put some of these together for the endlessly useful parting catch phrase "Ishi bakah ciao" to indicate "ok, thats enough, bye!"

DC

No comments: