15 March 2007

Parent/Teacher Conferences


Day One of meeting with Parents complete. I met with parents of 7th and 8th Grade today from 4-7PM. All the parents of the good students were there. All the students whose parents I have something to discuss with--were not there. School is a half day tomorrow to leave the afternoon open for more conferences. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for three particular parents to show. If not, Roy D Mercer might be making a trip to Ethiopia.

Saturday, I leave at 5AM to fly up North with the 8th Grade. We will be gone for 6 days touring all the locations that we have been learning about: Bahr Dar, Gondar, Lalibella and Aksum. We will take a similar route that Dervla Murphy took, but in the opposite direction. We, of course, wont be limited to mule transport, but one day we will rely on these friendly beasts for travel up a mountain to a monastery. We are sleeping on floors of a few churches to make the trip economical and to give the kids a little cultural experience. From the looks of it, all the MKs should be fine with whatever we throw at them. The non-missionary kids, on the other hand, may have a little awakening awaiting them. Comfort zones will be crossed. And I have a feeling that a few complaints might be lodged with a couple of us chaperones.

Even though I have been advised against taking my videocamera, I am packing the Super 8 with Kodachrome, Roll 1 of 4. As tremendous as a trip like this will be, it would be much better if a wife was coming along.

DC

2 comments:

sandy vantrease said...

a wife? any wife will do? ;)

dherve said...

oh my goodness! on a mule! an ethiopian monastary! you are correct- all these will be much better with a wifey- but at least it will be on kodachrome! how long is the role? like 4 minutes?