03 March 2007

On top of Addis




I missed Bingham's reenactment of the Ethiopians defeating the Italians on Thursday night because I was sick. I struggled it through my classes knowing that school would be canceled on Friday in honor of the Battle of Adwa. Friday morning, I was feeling better (PTL for Cipro!) so the Bets and I made a trip over to the Hilton for the first time to scope out the joint and buy some "highspeed" internet. Our primary motivation is to to upload expense reports back to MTW. We soon realize its not going to happen. The speed is obviously faster than Binghams, but not fast enough to download ipod and other software updates. The lesson cost us $28; we ll have to do the expense reports later.

Even though the hotel was completed in 1969, its quite a nice accommodation. The itinerant veteran Cusic had recommended I read Surrender or Starve, and after reading it, I had a vivid picture of the Hilton as the journalist/ambassador/diplomat's haven of choice. Now we know why: all the luxuries of the modern world (and the prices to go with it)--right in the middle of Addis. Its easily the most international climate we have encountered here. Definitely a place a visitor might want to stay at while here (wink wink).

Departing the Hilton lobby, we make way over to a cafe atop a hotel not far from Mexico circle (see photo). We order the obligatory Macchiato and step out onto the balcony. Its breathtaking. The city has the standard hustle/bustle vibes of urban life, but the African tones are obviously different. The smell of pollution is primary, yet mixed with Eucalyptus and other earthy richness. The sounds are of honking and irate motorists, yet animals are having their say too. The sun was setting and a soft glow cast over the city. From what I could tell, the video I shot looked great, but it will undoubtedly let me down in terms of experience.

By Saturday's arrival, Betsy is sick. I am afraid she has inherited it from me. But its no use trying to guess where it came from.
Hopefully, like mine, it ll pass soon enough.

DC

But most importantly, the new slideshow is here.

1 comment:

Loren said...

Sick? Oh no... We're praying for fast recoveries for you both.

It IS beautiful, thank you for the wonderful photos.