31 March 2007

Muggers in the Merkato



Spring break arrived yesterday and I have the next 6 school days off.
All day today I spent grading quizzes and planning for Term 3. But I
leave the Bingham compound with a feather in my cap: another day of
productive accomplishment. I begin scouting for a contract taxi
outside the gate. I am carrying a substantial amount of Birr for the
V's who need to change money. I am keenly aware of this situation.

The small contract taxis are absent altogether. I reason that they
will be easier to find at the AutoBusTera than Kolfe. Moments later, I
catch a mini-taxi for 1.20 EBirr. After I pay, I call E to let her
know that I am approaching the Hilton. She assures me they will wait
for me.

Nearing the Merkato, I step out of the mini taxi into a flood of
people. It is dark outside and the street is packed. I start
walking--hoping to catch the first contract taxi that passes by.
Weaving through a large flux of people, it seems everyone is walking
in the opposite direction of me. I keep on, wondering how long I will
have to wait.

I keep a good pace while simultaneously looking over my shoulder from
time to time. A large mob of people are swarming so I have to
negotiate between each one of them. As I proceed, someone grabs my
arm. My instinct tells me they are assisting me from stepping into the
street. After all, cars are passing on my immediate left. I turn to
look at my arm grabber and he has his heel digging into my knee. I
stumble as he forces his weight against me. Confusion overtakes me; he
is shouting.

As he tries to shove me away from the street deeper into the crowd,
two other men grab me from behind. I feel hands at my
pockets--snatching, clutching. By now, I finally realize what is
happening. With the grace of a slapstick clutz, I flail my body and
swirl my weight any which way I can. At this instant, serendipity
strikes. My shoe flies in the air like a stungun and I tumble away
from the assaulters, back into oncoming traffic. A large Izuzu truck
brakes to avoid me but drives over my Dansko without touching it.
After it passes, I hop into the street and slide my shoe back on. This
blocks the path of traffic, but lo and behold, I'm standing in front
of a contract taxi! I give the driver the nod and without hesitation
he swings open the back door like Robin in the Batmobile. I dive in.
He saw the whole thing and quickly apologizes for my loss. For the
first time, I consider my bag containing the cash and my camera. I
then realize its still tucked under my arm, unopened. I next find my
mobile phone but dread reaching for my wallet. I lean forward and out
of my pocket comes my black nylon Eddie Bauer velcro wallet from 5th
grade. I am too weak in the knees to holler back "Suckers!" as we
escape. Nearing the Hilton, I realize what a easy target I must have
been, and yet they still managed to bungle the job. Frankly, I am
embarrassed for them, but after all, it was a pretty mean shoe trick.

At this point, after two consecutive transportation crisis, I am not
sure if I am 0 for 2....or 2 and 0.

DC

4 comments:

dherve said...

wait are you batman or robin?

Terry Templeton said...

Serendipity? I think not! The Lord was in deed interceding on your behalf!!!

NOMTerry

PS Hey E!

Unknown said...

Whew, this was a tense read!!! What an amazing ending, I just thought you were about to help the Ethiopian economy in your small and unwilling way!! Good old Dansko in the service of God's gracious providence. I know you are never really 'alone' but must you take these wild cross city trips without human companionship??? Now that S & DV are gone, you and bets must protect each other!!:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Collin as a future visitor to Ethiopia I appreciate these stories. My question is, what could of been done to prevent you being a target? Walking with another, not going out at night, dressing up as a Priest??